Contracting Capabilities

Northpower provides contracting services across the North Island including engineering, infrastructure management and maintenance and construction.

Service lines

Looking after your service line

The power line that runs from the street to your house is called a service line, which can be either overhead or underground.

Here you’ll find some top tips about your service line and maintaining it.

Who's responsible for the service line?

Property owners are responsible for the power lines, poles and underground cables that supply electricity from our network to their property.

In most cases the service line starts at the property boundary.

Shared service lines

If the service line is shared between one or more properties, then safety and maintenance is a shared responsibility between neighbours.

Sometimes it can be difficult to determine the exact point where ownership and responsibility transfers from Northpower to the property owner. If you’re unsure, please contact us.

Maintaining your service lines

If your service line has leaning poles, low hanging lines, crooked cross arms or shows signs of damage, please contact us. Check out these images showing what to look for!

  • frayed or sagging lines break easily, especially in high winds
  • look for signs of rotten wood on crossarms, check whether your poles are rotting at the base
  • keep trees away from power lines – they can cause anything from flickering to a total power outage
  • check the point where the service line enters your house – is the line old, repaired or frayed?

Unsafe service lines

Property owners should regularly check service lines and service poles.

If you’re concerned about their condition, please contact us or your electrician to assess the need for repairs before the situation becomes dangerous and expensive to fix.

We regularly carry out safety inspections on our network and if we find any unsafe service lines, we’ll contact the property owner and let them know what work is needed to make them safe.

Damaged service line?

If the damage to your service line is near the point of entry (the connection point where the line attaches to your building), your electrician can help.

If you have damage to the line and poles on your property, please get in touch with one of our approved contractors:

Key things you need to know when it comes to staying safe around our networks

Learn about what you and your whānau (family) can do to stay safe together around our networks.