Contracting Capabilities

Northpower provides contracting services across the North Island including engineering, infrastructure management and maintenance and construction.

Permanent power disconnections

We can help arrange permanent or temporary power disconnections for your business

If you’re planning a permanent or long-term disconnection for your business power supply, your energy retailer can help. You may be removing a building, completing an on-site contract, relocating to a new building or have places of work that are only required seasonally, such as a packhouse.

You’ll need to give the energy retailer your ICP (Installation Control Point) number which can be found in the meter box or on your power bill. They’ll then authorise one of the following approved contractors to carry out the work.

Approved permanent disconnection contractors

2 Ducks Contracting
Phone 021 623 127

Bright Power
Phone 021 623 127

MEC Electric
Phone 021 468 855

Northland Power Services
Phone 021 195 6099

Disconnections of six months or more

If your electricity has been disconnected for longer than six months, you’ll need to organise an inspection for a Certificate of Verification (COV) to be issued. This is a legal requirement, to ensure all electrical equipment is still in safe working order. Any qualified electrician or inspector can inspect the wiring and provide a COV.

The COV needs to be shown to the Northpower-approved contractor when you’re ready to liven the connection. If you’re unsure how long your power has been disconnected, either Northpower or your electricity retailer can advise how long the power has been disconnected and whether you’ll need an inspection.

Getting reconnected

Please contact your preferred electricity retailer to create an account, request a reconnection, and advise them that a Certificate of Verification has been arranged. They’ll then arrange for us to visit your property, sight the COV and reconnect the power.

If you’re using a Northpower inspector for your COV work, they’ll be able reconnect the power as soon as it passes, provided we’ve received the reconnection request from your electricity retailer. This includes temporary builder’s supplies, buildings, offices, pumps and other connections, regardless of age.

Know the law when it comes to DIY electrical work

New Zealand law does allow home and business owners to undertake some electrical work if they comply with the national standards below, however, we strongly recommend that you use a licensed electrician unless you have previous experience.  

NZECP:50 Repair of Domestic Electrical Equipment

NZECP:51 Electrical Wiring Work on Domestic Premises   


Always comply with these safety precautions

Installing your own wiring or fixing appliances is often not as simple as it may seem and puts you at risk of electric shock or causing a fire. If you are going to undertake any work yourself, you must comply with the following safety precautions:

  • make sure the power is turned off by organising a temporary (safety) disconnection service
  • carry out proper safety tests
  • do not connect the wiring yourself – this must be done by an electrical inspector
  • do not work on mains or main switchboards – a licensed electrician must do this